Chapter governance and structure

How are chapters around the world approaching governance and structure? One of the main questions that emerged from the first RxC Singapore meetup was how a diverse group could meaningfully engage and collaborate. In this way, RxC chapters could present a chance to explore open organisations and decentralised governance structures :slight_smile:

A few ideas which came up in our discussion:

• exploring frameworks for open organisations , such as colony.io and aragon.org for governance: the design space could include subdomains, reputation, governance, funding, time/reward tokens, etc.;
  • using offline meetups for structured, facilitated sessions (e.g. presentations, workshops, games), while using this Discourse forum for online working groups
1 Like

There’s a lot of disagreement about governance. What most people overlook is that it is relatively simple to safely test different forms of governance.

For example, right now the Libertarian Party (LP) is using donations to rank potential themes for its convention. Imagine if the LP had also created a subreddit for people to submit and vote for their favorite themes. This would have allowed everyone to directly compare how differently the themes were ranked by democracy and the market.

There are a few sites such as Honest Cash and Cent where options can be ranked by spending. Personally I prefer HC because…

• all the content can be sorted by value
  • a post can have multiple tags
  • each reply is its own post (like on Medium)
  • when the people you follow spend their money on posts, they appear in your feed
  • no need to setup a wallet (don’t have to add MetaMask to Chrome browser)

Both sites use cryptocurrencies… HC uses Bitcoin Cash (BCH) while Cent uses Ether (ETH). I recently posted on both websites (here and here) that they should use donations to decide their currency. Of course they could also create subreddits to see how democracy ranks the potential currencies.

As far as I know there isn’t a website that uses quadratic voting (QV) to rank the options. But it seems straightforward that the rankings would fall somewhere between democratic rankings and market rankings.

Basically, we can, and should, use science to resolve our disagreements about governance.

2 Likes